Thursday, November 5, 2009

Near Death By Croissant


Every Thursday morning Karrie and I have a women's Bible Study that meets at my house. Usually we get something to munch on with our coffee and tea however, thanks to our dear friend Lisa, this morning we were treated to home made croissants! Lisa is a professional pastry chef and let me tell you something, that woman can make a mean croissant! She brought almond, cream cheese and my personal favorite...chocolate!

I can't tell you the last time I had a good croissant...I mean like melt in your mouth, send you to a heavenly place type of croissant. I think the last good croissant I had was in New York City at La Petite Boulangerie like 9 years ago? THAT, my friend, is WAY too long to wait!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am very passionate about food. I LOVE food! I love to taste it, to look at it, prepare it, describe it and when I find GOOD food I never forget it. But when it comes to eating it, sometimes I have a hard time stopping!

I'm not shy. I dug right into those chocolate puppies. They were THE BEST croissants I have ever put in my mouth. I mean, the perfect buttery dough that's just barely uncooked on the inside and flaky crust on the outside. Just the right amount of chocolate to dough ratio....they were pure deliciousness! Therein lies the problem: I couldn't stop eating them! After the first one I sat there contemplating, "Should I have another? No...I should not have another one. But I want another one....I should definitely NOT have another one. OK...I'll have another one!" I'll be honest, the second one was just as good as the first. I was totally in my happy place....I was also extremely full...like....tub O' butter, full.

As a rule I don't count calories. I love good, fattening food. I cook with butter and I don't like anything "low fat". Never the less, I jokingly threw out, "I wonder how many calories are in those suckers?" Lisa then informed me there are approximately 1200-1500 calories in each croissant....give or take. Holy Crap! You mean I just ate 3000 calories in one sitting? Three thousand!!! That's like two whole days worth of calories in one meal! (one extraordinary meal, I might add) but still...WOW!

A few hours later, about 1:00 in the afternoon, the effects of the butter/sugar buzz combo started to wear off and I actually felt a little woosy. I really felt light-headed! I guess I didn't realize the sheer magnitude of butter floating around in my system. I've also never eaten enough sugar to make me feel drugged, but I guess I discovered my limit this morning. So I decided I'd better eat some "actual" food before I slipped into a croissant induced coma. I quickly made myself a grilled cheese sandwich. (I know, I'm a picture of health. Don't judge.) It may not have been the healthiest choice but it slowly started to make me feel better. Slowly....

By dinner I was...OK? I still didn't feel like eating much but we had a friend over and Scott wanted dessert. So I managed to top off the evening with a bowl of berry pie and ice cream. Again, don't judge.

0 comments:

The Family Unit

The Family Unit
My husband, Scott, and I have been together for 24 incredibly wonderful years! We have two children; our oldest son Max (A.K.A. Boog, Boogie or his full name Maximus when he's in trouble) and our youngest son Titus (A.K.A. Ti, T, Bird, T-Bird, Birdie or some other variation of the sort). Life with these three is absolutely amazing, terribly funny, franticaly busy, positively crazy and without question, never boring! I'm truly a blessed woman!

Our Books

Followers

AWARDS

AWARDS

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP