Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Imminent Death

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you are fully aware that pets don't last long in our house. It's not that we purposely kill them....they just die! ....Well, OK Titus fondling a fish could count as "purposely" but he didn't know that would kill him....so we'll say that doesn't count. : ) 

After yesterday's award ceremony, we decided that a reward was in order for the kids for doing such a good job in school. (I must add that Titus ended up winning an award also for "Attendance" but we only found out about that today. And yes, I actually made it to his ceremony!) 

So....back to the reward....I offered to take the kids out to McDonald's and ice cream but Max quickly told me that "he didn't want to be rewarded with food." Is he even my child? I'd take a food reward any day! He then asked me if he could get another snail. I reminded him of the "luck" we've had with snails and asked if maybe a Hermit Crab would do? He excitedly yelled "Yes!" and Titus quickly jumped on the crab band wagon also. So...off to Pet Smart we went!

We used the tank that Max already had from his fish. He hasn't named his yet (which in all honesty may not be a bad idea....if it doesn't have a name he may not mourn it's untimely death as much right??? Sorry....I'm just voicing the inevitable! He's in the white shell on the bottom right of the tank.

Titus has lovingly named his "Rocky." I honestly don't mean to be all "doom & gloom" I'm just being realistic. You should hear what the lady at the pet store told us about the care these things need. We have to spray water on their dirt twice a day to keep it moist. Preferably, 72-80 degrees. We have to feed them twice a day these little pellets and then they like cut up fruit. You have to always have an extra shell in there so they can molt into a bigger one at any given time. She also told us about some special salt you have to buy for a "salt water bath" they should get once a month....are you getting that these things don't have a chance yet? With each requirement she was listing off, those poor crabs' life expectancy dropped a few percents!

As we were driving home Scott turns to me and says, "Yeah....those things won't ever live long enough to see that salt bath. We won't ever crack that little salt container open. That was $1.99 well spent!"

Any bets on their life span? I'll be sure to keep you updated! : )

0 comments:

The Family Unit

The Family Unit
My husband, Scott, and I have been together for 24 incredibly wonderful years! We have two children; our oldest son Max (A.K.A. Boog, Boogie or his full name Maximus when he's in trouble) and our youngest son Titus (A.K.A. Ti, T, Bird, T-Bird, Birdie or some other variation of the sort). Life with these three is absolutely amazing, terribly funny, franticaly busy, positively crazy and without question, never boring! I'm truly a blessed woman!

Our Books

Followers

AWARDS

AWARDS

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP